Exception is an action platformer set inside an elderly woman’s computer which has been crippled by malware. Players must battle insidious programs which have taken control of her computer operating system.
Exception traces its roots back to the original NES and the simple, uncomplicated fun of running around and smacking stuff with a sword. While gaming technology has advanced far beyond the NES days, so has the complexity of the games produced. Frustration with modern titles that overwhelm the player with tutorials led to a desire to create a game that uses a simple control scheme to produce a rich gaming experience.
Exception introduces a new mechanic to the traditional platforming genre – levels that transform by rotating and moving during gameplay. These features enable new design elements which, when paired with familiar platformer controls, create a uniquely exciting experience.
- Transforming Levels: Take two-dimensional action to the three-dimensional world with levels that rotate and transform to reveal new challenges
- Leaderboard Competition: Players compete to see who can speedrun a level with the fastest time; time bonuses are awarded for creative attacks and other tricks
- Synthwave Soundtrack: Nearly two-hours of synthwave music from top musicians in the genre
- Character Progression: Find hidden items to upgrade special attacks and construct a deadly protagonist
- Illustrated Story: Follow the story of Exception from the real world to the computer operating system where a totalitarian virus seeks total domination
- 128 carefully designed, transforming levels set in 16 worlds
- 800+ online leaderboards foster player competition
- 17 illustrated cutscenes bring the world of Exception to life
- Six special attacks to unlock as the player progresses
- 128 collectible items to upgrade special attacks
- 15 enemy bosses punctuate world completion
- Synthwave soundtrack from nine international musicians